A day in the life of a not so typical 23 year old woman...

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Success-Full?

I have found myself walking a fine line this summer between "taking care of myself" and some days struggling to get out of bed to start the day. Now I have never struggled with motivation, until I learned how to slow down, relax and take care of myself. I used to party 6 nights a week, average 4 hours a sleep per night, work 3 jobs, work on a double-degree, volunteer, make my sorority meetings, and never skip a beat of my social life. Go big or go home was my motto...only problem was, I never went home! But today I have learned a whole new way of living, a life which involves morning meditations, healthy coping tactics, sleeping naturally and without any narcotics, and mastering the art of napping. But let's be real, I am a sales representative in a highly competitive industry. I am 23 years old- I'm in the prime time of my life to be meeting new people, shaking hands, kissing babies and making that mu-la-la.

My father is a football coach for Pete's sake! I used to get pep talks to take a high school exam, I had consequences of suicide sprints rather than no T.V., and was raised on the basis that it is important WHAT you are, not WHO you are. So I've never struggled to ignite my fire. Until recently. Until the presence of a 24oz light roast coffee (black) is the only motivator to get me out of bed. Tuesday I slept from 9:30am until 4:00pm, and I slept hard! What up with that?

I am not on my period, I haven't had a recent breakup, I am not sleep deprived, God knows I am not pregnant, I am not hungover or even feeling sick. Listening to my body is the excuse I will stick with for now. Perhaps I am just too comfortable. I thrive better off of chaos. Whenever I feel a little bit of success,  I find myself feeling satisfied- briefly- before the guilt kicks back in to drink twice as much caffeine and sell, sell, sell!! exhausting cycle.

My friend Holly and I used to take frequent "personal days"  usually after the Sunday Blues had kicked  in after a weekend that made my mouth pucker. I used to allow myself a day off to recover from life. Now it is a constant battle recovering from taking a day off.  My Sundays are my Target/grocery store/laundry/pay bills/clean the house/run errands/catch up on sleep/work out/make a decent meal days. I could use 6 Sundays a week. (Although I do miss the 'personal days' of greasy burgers from Mickey's accompanied with 8 consecutive hours of E! True Hollywood Story).

So if you're feeling like me, and feel you need a little jump in your step, don't grab a 5-hour energy drink, listen to this guy in the video below and he will eat away at your conscious and make you feel guilty whenever you are  about to close your eyes for a quick cat nap. Your Welcome. And remember, you can never be too successful!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAJPPjGrU7g



5 comments:

  1. Jillian, I love this! And, I'm very proud of you for sharing. Now, I will feel
    like I am getting to hear every day a little something from you. I miss you every day. You're THE strongest person I know and I wish I could have just a little of your strength and courage. Love, Mom (heart)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jillian: I read this posting while polishing off my fourth mug (not those sissy cups!) of coffee. Thanks for the UTube posting.....but I really think there needs to be some balance thrown in there, and there are lots of definitions of success. Wanting success more than you want to breathe is an excellent way for him to make his point to the audience he was addressing.

    Nothing balances me some days like a good nap!

    Keep it up sweetheart. I love your reflection....and remember to keep taking care of yourself :)

    A.T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian...your path is normal. You have transitioned from teen/college student-to adult life! Laundry and groceries are a fact of life no matter what. You will find your balance. You will enjoy success in your work, you will continue with your family relationships and build your own in the future. It is a new experience for you and you are handling it beautifully! As for myself, every time my job has changed ( moved to a different property) in the past few years, I am exhausted every night for the first few months. I go home and go to bed early. In time, I start to settle in and realize that I have other things in my life besides work to tend to. Throughout my adult life I have tried to balance, "Live to work or work to live"? There is no perfect answer. You will find what works for you. Give yourself time! Loving your blog!!! Love you...MaryLynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jillian, you have always been very special to us. Life is not always easy, but you are learning to rise above your adversities and come out even stronger. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. And yes,you are a dynamic person! We love you a lot and wish only the best for you. Love :) Aunt Lil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jillian - You said it girl....Our God is an Awesome God. There are no coincidences, things happen for a reason. We do have free will, but seeking God's will for our life will keep us on the beam.
    A.T.

    ReplyDelete