A day in the life of a not so typical 23 year old woman...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Healing Laughter

When I finally left my office tonight around 8:30 p.m. I stepped outside into a torrential monsoon. Minnesota style. I had a good day, I was productive with work, closed some deals, shook hands and kissed babies. I got up and made my morning women's meeting at 6:30, and got a work out in all before tackling my 'to do' list.

I have been living with my Aunt Mary and her three teenage boys for just over a year now. Originally I was going to live here temporarily, to get my feet wet, find a job and get settled in to my new life in the Twin Cities. Before this I went from living in a single dorm room,  to a sorority house, to backpacking in hostels and open beaches in the South Pacific, to living with four college women. Not to mention I had a number of hard core roommates when I lived in Plymouth, MN for 28 days!

The truth is, I love it here. Even though it has been a transition getting used to living as part of a family again, it is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Today's example is that after a long day, after feeling tired, worn out, and drained, I get to come home to people who love me unconditionally with open arms. I am greeted with no judgement, no dependency, no assumptions, or expectations. I am my rawest form at home. I walk in the door, get a big hug from Mary, a hug from Devin (and a smart ass comment), and "what's up?" from Michael, and a kiss from Garrett. By the time I put my sweatpants and over sized t-shirt on I have a spot on the couch waiting for me. This is my favorite part of the day. I get to snuggle with Pacino, and let go of everything and unwind.

Tonight we spent a good hour and a half playing with Pacino, which usually consists of teasing him and playing games. These boys make me laugh so hard! The kind of laughter that makes your belly ache, that makes you skip a breath, and snort/grunt/wheeze/giggle. Laughter is contagious, it is a good form of peer pressure, and at the least bit it keeps you grounded.


I used to laugh a lot as a child. I have vivid memories with my sister and brother, with my friends,, mt parents, just laughing, and laughing, and laughing. I used to have a grunt to my laugh, which I still do sometimes. Laughing is the best high you can experience. It is authentic, pure, natural, organic and individually unique to each and every one of us.

If you are feeling down, need a quick fix or a pick me up, think about that child inside of you. Think about the innocence and the joy that illuminates laughter. All I know is laughter gives me juice, it stimulates me in ways that no other emotional experience can.

So today keep your eyes peeled for the many diverse, humorous interactions that surround you, listen for the sounds of smiles, and treasure the gift of pure, genuine laughter.

1 comment:

  1. Jillian, I know just what you mean, I had to fill in at an office last week at a place where I did not hear a single laugh ever....for an entire week! I thought I was going to suffocate there! Awful! Keep laughing!! It does a body good!
    Love you!
    The favorite aunt mary

    ReplyDelete