A day in the life of a not so typical 23 year old woman...

Monday, October 25, 2010

Get involved: Part 2.

So I need to catch everyone up on where I have been the past couple of weeks. I have been all over the place, from the Gulf Coast back to Iowa City. I've put some miles on my car, too many dollar signs on my credit card, and threw my new gained experiences in my knapsack and am now getting settles again back here in the Twin Cities.

Two weekends ago I made a trip down to Bonita Springs, FL for a little work rondevu. Oh, I also attended the Arthrex National Sales Meeting. :) It was great, it the one time a year all of the reps from all around the country get together with Corporate, other Surgeons, and celebrate a year of hard work. I probably love it so much because there aren't too many other girls, I am surrounded by outgoing, interesting men ranging from the age of 24-50 years old, I got my own King size room (with a balcony!), and had my choice from 4 outdoor pools. I ate like a queen, stayed up late and got involved. The last night we were staying at the Hyatt most everyone left to go home- but I stayed with my two closest buds- members of the program, they actually occupy the inner nest that only few are privileged to be a part of. Brian, Donny and I convinced the reeption-ers at the Hyatt that we needed to impress our oh so important docs in town for the night, so for no charge- my boy Andrew upgrade us to the Penthouse Suite! The 'Island Suite' had 5 balconies, a full bar, pull out beds, and a breathtaking view.

All you can do it ask- the worst thing that anyone can say to you is no. That was a job well done. With live music outside, the ocean breeze and good company- we lived like champions- and at least for one night I got to forget about myself as a recovering addict, as a saleswoman, as a niece, a daughter, a friend or mentor- for one night I got to let go. I laughed so hard my belly ached for day after my trip. I didn't sleep much, but I will hold on to those memories for months to come. What a pick-me-up!

This past weekend I traveled back to Iowa City for the first time in a year and a half. Megan, Holly, Cole, Dani, Eric- respective family and friends were all in town- I had to go. I finally felt like i was in the right place to go back and face the place that left a bitter taste in my mouth for almost a year.

Driving 5 hours through the state of Iowa leaves someone a lot of time to think. I had a lot of time to process the situation and suit myself up for familiar faces and comfortable places. I had such a blast while I was there though. I got to hit up some of my favorite spots, and walk my old stomping grounds. I got to tailgate in the black and gold and share my growth and perseverance with some people who probably thought I would never make it out in the real world. I got to make some amends and share some explanations with others. It was a fulfilling trip. I got a drink thrown on me, made the sober walk of shame, ate a greasy pizza at 2am with my two best friends, and got no sleep. Such a warm welcoming back to the place I used to call home- the weekend was complete.

I'll admit though- I had the Sunday blues on my drive back home. It was an emotional highway. Leaving the friends, and that city just made me so sad. I never got a fulfilling closure with Iowa City- and it just felt really good to leave there on a positive note and with a contentious feeling in my heart.

I got involved in Bonita Springs, and in Iowa City. I met some great new people, visited some old wounds, laughed my ass off, cried a few tears, but showed the world that no matter how high the highs, and no matter how low the lows- i am always constantly growing. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment